Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A New Year Full of Hope

The happenings in 2008 which more or less have changed my life, are related to my health. Exactly one year ago I went to see a doctor because of chest pain. Nothing dramatic though, but I was diagnosed with diabetes. It was found by accident, I didn't have the common symptoms.

No reason for a big shock. I knew that I belong to the risk group and I have watched closely in my family how life with diabetes is. I don't really see it as very restricting illness.

The side effects, however, have been a lot worse than the original diagnosis. In the spring last year I had an eye-check, routine for all diabetics, and since then things have exploded. Without having noticed anything, my eyes had developed a very serious diabetic retinopathy, and despite of laser treatments and small operations I have for quite a large part lost my sight.

Hopefully this situation is just temporary. Of course today's medicine can do a lot. Next week I will have a surgery for the worse one of my eyes which has been for some time almost blind. I cherish the hope that it would then get better.

Probably the worst thing is to be unable to work. A while ago I had found my dream job, just started it, but could only work for less than a year before forced to take sickleave. Now I have been disabled for four months. I wish I will recover and be able to get back to work, even though the doctors cannot promise anything. I'm simply too young to sit at home, this is not what I have been studying for...

However, I have faith, a new year has just started, and I want to begin it full of hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment